Saturday, April 16, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

My mother was an amazing and yet complicated person. Brilliant doesn’t begin to describe her intellect. She was an avid reader, amazing in the kitchen, wickedly funny and a wealth of experience and good advice. She was a wonderful listener and always made herself available for those who needed a kind ear or shoulder to lean on.

She loved to laugh and even cry. She wore her heart on her sleeve. She was sometimes easily angered but quick, quick, quick to forgive. She was fair, and was loyal to a fault. Nobody messed with her people! We used to laugh that a little bit of Ruth Gordon embodied her. “Little but feisty” was a term often used to describe her, but if I could choose only one word, it would be genuine. She was real.

She loved the outdoors and raised my brother and I to love it too. One of my favorite childhood memories is camping with my family and my mother reading to us every night out of some spooky book. If it weren’t for the fact that I was totally exhausted from the day’s activities, I could have laid quietly in my bed listening to her voice all night.

I miss her. I think of her every day. I wish I could throw myself across my bed with my phone in hand and have one of our 2 hour conversations about everything and nothing. She would have been 76 years old today, feisty as ever I’m sure. You still fill our hearts Patsy, Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Jim & Judy said...

I can still hear her say..."I love my dog".

Donna Vee said...

Chubby, chubby bundle of joy! Sally I mean.